[U-Boot] is it worth contributing a SATA SIL3512 driver to u-boot?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sun Dec 13 14:37:55 CET 2015

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015, Fabio Estevam wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 6:19 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>
> >   well, the contract i'm working on will be using it for porting
> > linux to a *lot* of older platforms so, technically, i'm that
> > user. :-)
>
> What I meant was: if you submit the SATA SIL3512 driver to U-boot,
> you should also add the U-boot support for at least one board that
> makes use of this driver.

  ok, let me describe in whatever detail i'm allowed to what the
situation is (without mentioning any names due to NDA), and i'm
interested in guidance.

  working on project to port linux (using yocto project) to quite a
number of (admittedly old) freescale MPC8360e-based systems. we do,
in fact, have a working BSP, which includes a usable u-boot of a
couple different versions -- one a patched u-boot-1.2.0, the other a
patched 2015.10.

  2015.10 patch is about 5,000 lines long, but quite a lot of it
appears to be pretty generic stuff that i doubt anyone would care
about publishing, so there's a good chance i'd be allowed to submit a
patch to u-boot for support for at least *generic* MPC8360e support.
(i see there is already arch/powerpc/cpu/mpc83xx/, which some of the
patch applies to.)

  i can check with the higher-ups about their willingness to
contribute a new board definition and, if they have no objection,
would that be sufficient to submit a patch to add a new board so that
we don't have to carry all this patch material around?

  am i thinking about this the right way?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca