[U-Boot] Standalone API examples on the P4080DS

David George dgeorge at rapitasystems.com
Fri Jan 16 12:19:22 CET 2015

Hi all,

I have compiled the hello_world standalone API example documented at
http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/UBootStandalone for the Freescale
P4080DS development board.

For the standalone api example hello_world, the tutorial (linked above)
states that the entry point of the application *is offset 4 bytes from
the start of the file* (I.E. address 0x40004).

With all build settings at default, my standalone base address is
0x40000 (defined in arch/powerpc/config.mk). This produces the following
object code:

00040000 <hello_world>:
    40000:	94 21 ff e0 	stwu    r1,-32(r1)
    40004:	7c 08 02 a6 	mflr    r0
    40008:	bf 61 00 0c 	stmw    r27,12(r1)
    4000c:	7c 7e 1b 78 	mr      r30,r3
    40010:	7c 83 23 78 	mr      r3,r4
    40014:	90 01 00 24 	stw     r0,36(r1)

It looks like the entry point is 0x40000. Why does the tutorial state
that the example needs to be run from a 4 byte offset? In this case this
will result in a failure to create a stack frame for hello_world.

Thanks!

Dave George

Stay informed by joining the Rapita Systems mailing list
http://www.rapitasystems.com/contact/mailing_list

For real-time verifications issues and discussion, follow the Rapita Systems blog
http://www.rapitasystems.com/blog