[U-Boot] Bug in buildman?

Andreas Bießmann andreas.devel at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 29 19:05:22 CET 2015

Hi Simon,

I add some more descriptive text.

On 29.01.15 18:41, Simon Glass wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> On 31 December 2014 at 05:44, Andreas Bießmann
> <andreas.devel at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Simon,
>>
>> while test-building 2015.01-rc4 I encountered following strange
>> behaviour of buildman:
>>
>> ---8<---

This time create non existing /tmp/bar and run the build for all avr32
boards on the last commit.

>> andreas at andreas-pc % ./tools/buildman/buildman -b buildtest -o /tmp/bar
>> -v avr32
>> boards.cfg is up to date. Nothing to do.
>> Building 1 commit for 10 boards (6 threads, 1 job per thread)

Ok, it starts 6 threads ...

>> 01: Prepare v2015.01-rc4
>>      avr32: +   atngw100mkii
>>     0    4    6 /10     0:00:02  : atngw100mkii

Ouch ... six errors, what's going on here? Let's print the errors and
summary ...

>> ./tools/buildman/buildman -b buildtest -o /tmp/bar -v avr32  82.57s user
>> 16.90s system 249% cpu 39.899 total
>> andreas at andreas-pc % ./tools/buildman/buildman -b buildtest -o /tmp/bar
>> -v -lsed

>> +(grasshopper,atngw100,favr-32-ezkit,atstk1006,atstk1004,hammerhead)
>> Could not find linker script.

>> w+(atngw100mkii,atstk1002,atstk1003,mimc200) ../tools/kwbimage.c:803:8:
>> warning: ‘headersz’ may be used uninitialized in this function
>> [-Wmaybe-uninitialized]

Oups some complains about missing linker script and something is wrong
with kwbimage .... Let's see what's going on with grasshopper, I know
this builds fine, so let's see:

>> andreas at andreas-pc % ./tools/buildman/buildman -b buildtest -o /tmp/bar
>> -v -lsed grasshopper
>> boards.cfg is up to date. Nothing to do.
>> Summary of 1 commit for 1 boards (1 thread, 6 jobs per thread)
>> 01: Prepare v2015.01-rc4
>>      avr32: +   grasshopper
>> +(grasshopper)   Could not find linker script.
>> +(grasshopper) make[1]: *** [prepare1] Error 1
>> +(grasshopper) make: *** [sub-make] Error 2

Ok, missing linker script. That is wrong, I know grasshopper builds
fine! So run another build for just the grasshopper board with another
output directory (/tmp/grasshopper) ... thus a fresh build.

>> andreas at andreas-pc % ./tools/buildman/buildman -b buildtest -o
>> /tmp/grasshopper -v grasshopper
>> boards.cfg is up to date. Nothing to do.
>> Building 1 commit for 1 boards (1 thread, 6 jobs per thread)

Ok, this time it starts just one thread.

>> Cloning repo for thread 0
>> 01: Prepare v2015.01-rc4
>>      avr32: +   grasshopper
>>     0    1    0 /1      grasshopper

Yep, it builds fine (besides the warning) ...

>> ./tools/buildman/buildman -b buildtest -o /tmp/grasshopper -v
>> grasshopper  14.11s user 2.69s system 183% cpu 9.171 total
>> andreas at andreas-pc % ./tools/buildman/buildman -b buildtest -o
>> /tmp/grasshopper -v -lsed grasshopper
>> boards.cfg is up to date. Nothing to do.
>> Summary of 1 commit for 1 boards (1 thread, 6 jobs per thread)
>> 01: Prepare v2015.01-rc4
>>      avr32: +   grasshopper
>> w+(grasshopper) ../tools/kwbimage.c: In function ‘kwbimage_set_header’:
>> w+(grasshopper) ../tools/kwbimage.c:803:8: warning: ‘headersz’ may be
>> used uninitialized in this function [-Wmaybe-uninitialized]

Ok, the warning is about kwbimage.c. I know this warning and it will be
fixed soon.

So there must be something wrong when it builds more than one board at a
time. I guess it has something to do with the threads.

>> buildman complains about missing linker script for most boards which is
>> an error when building all avr32 boards. While it detects the correct
>> warning for still not fixed kwbimage.c maybe-uninitialized when building
>> just the single board which had an error before. Both builds are based
>> on v2015.01-rc4 and built in different locations.
>
> Sorry for not getting back sooner - twice I read your email and tried
> to understand what is going on.

Sorry for being not clear with my error description. I hope the
additional thoughts may help.

This happens on current Debian stable (which has python 2.7.3-4+deb7u1)
but not with Debian testing (which has python 2.7.8-2) nor with my MAC
box (which has Python 2.7.9, thanks to macports).

Best regards

Andreas Bießmann