[U-Boot] silence u-boot and kernel console output

DaveKucharczyk david.kucharczyk at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 23:07:31 CEST 2015

U-Boot 2014.07
Kernel 3.14.33
System: MX51 board with touchscreen lcd.

I'm trying to figure out the right combination of bootargs or enviroment
variables or #define's to silence the console and make everything else work
as normal all the way through shutdown.

In old kernel and u-boot our bootargs were "console=null root=/dev/mmcblk0p
rootwait rw jtag=on fbcon=map:1"

In new u-boot and kernel I have narrowed down a few issues...
fbcon=map:1 causes our display not to display anything when the system is
booted.
console=null causes the kernel to hang for about a minute before any log
messages appear in sys.log

So I got rid of console=null and fbcon=map:1. I replaced it with #defines in
config file...

#define CONFIG_SILENT_CONSOLE
#define CONFIG_SYS_DEVICE_NULLDEV
#define CONFIG_SILENT_CONSOLE_UPDATE_ON_SET
#define CONFIG_EXTRA_ENV_SETTINGS \
            "silent=1\0" \

It boots quick and lcd works, but now when I issue a reboot command I get
shutdown messages on the lcd. How can I silence those?