[U-Boot] [ANN] git server, FTP server

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jul 20 21:33:28 CEST 2015

Dear Peter,

In message <CALeDE9NJiqCaE3zhdrS80Fe_P4bfxCG2naW8YhzrHM+WqSHWfw at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> >> Why would any build environment use tarballs?  can you not just
> >> reference the git repository?  This is much more efficient, IMHO.
> >
> > Open Build Service uses tarballs, too. We usually specify full URLs in
> > the RPM .spec file [1] both for documentation of origin and so that the
> > mirrored tarball can be verified via gpg or checksum where available.
> > As the actual build is intentionally done offline, at some point a
> > tarball is needed. The URL could happily be a redirect to some mirror.
>
> This is the same in Fedora, the builds are done in a constrained
> environment without connectivity to the general internet.

This is normal.  It's the same in any Yocto based environment.  And
probably in any other buil environment that alloes to reliably
reproduce a specific build.  But you can still use git to fetch your
sources - instead of storing a tarball locally, you store a clone of
the git repo.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
1000 pains                                              = 1 Megahertz