[U-Boot] Booting Wandboard through USB

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Tue Jun 2 16:25:22 CEST 2015

On Mon, Jun 01, 2015 at 09:38:18AM -0700, Tim Harvey wrote:
[snip]
> Honestly I've never used fsl's mfgtool and never want to. I think its
> way more complicated than a scrip-table linux solution with very few
> dependencies (imx_usb_loader) and IMHO I think we should not be
> encumbered with fitting that complicated mould but instead work on
> breaking it by providing better options.

The counter-point that we can't just dismiss is that we want companies
on mainline.  Today many use the Freescale mfgtool (which is a big
wrapper around shoving u-boot.imx over and booting a kernel + ramdisk
into Linux and then flashing the board.  A solution that continues to
work within this framework removes a barrier from getting them on
mainline (and from Freescale shipping a more recent version of U-Boot
with their refernce SW).

Thinking about this a bit, as near as I can tell the way the mfgtool
(and for that matter, imx_usb_loader when passing in multiple files)
works is to use the header of u-boot.imx (or whatever...) to initialize
DDR, then start taking files and putting them in.  Could we not add some
debug (or opt-in CONFIG statement) that would cause SPL to spit out in
essence the values to plug into a template for header-based DDR init?
That way the mfgtool itself will continue working and instead of being
told to use u-boot.imx it's given a script (which iirc it supports) and
u-boot.img to run and it's normal loads of everything to flash.  Roughly
speaking :)

--
Tom