[U-Boot] What is the expected meaning of CONFIG_SYS_NO_FLASH

Chris Packham judge.packham at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 02:02:09 CEST 2015

Hi,

There is a bit of confusion at $dayjob about when CONFIG_SYS_NO_FLASH
is used. Initially we thought that this meant I have no parallel NOR
flash. So a board with only SPI flash would have CONFIG_SYS_NO_FLASH=1
and CONFIG_SPI_FLASH=1.

Is this understanding correct? I'd like to be able to add a blurb to
README about how CONFIG_SYS_NO_FLASH should be used. Based on what I
can tell from the code there seems to be a requirement that if
!defined(CONFIG_SYS_NO_FLASH) something must implement flash_init(),
flash_write(), etc as defined in include/flash.h. This could be a
driver like cfi_flash.c or a board specific implementation.

Thanks,
Chris