[U-Boot] lcd-console / display rotation

Hannes Petermaier Hannes.Petermaier at br-automation.com
Mon Mar 2 11:12:23 CET 2015

Hello everybody,

A short question about lcd-console:

Today u-boot only supports a 'linear framebuffer', meaning the next pixel
of a character is allways right after left and the framebuffer address is
incrementing.
We call this the display is mounted with 0° rotation.

In some cases we have a rotated display.
Maybe rotated by 90° to have portrait mode or even 180° due to mechanical
issues.

My question is:
Is anybody currently working around this, having rotated display ?
If not so, i would like start a implementation.

180° is quite easy, we only need to add some offset (total len of
framebuffer) to our framebuffer base address and do -- instead ++ for
drawing characters. Font can be reused.

In the other cases, 90° and 270° it will maybe a bit tricky. I think a
?rotated font? is also necessary.

Of course we have to think about the other functions like scroll up/down.

best regards,
hannes