[U-Boot] Basic A33 support including dram init available in my personal repo

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Sat Mar 7 20:06:27 CET 2015

Hi,

On 02-03-15 11:25, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 01-03-15 19:42, Vishnu Patekar wrote:
>> Allwinner A33 tablets comes with the libdram binary, fortunately I've
>> found the libdram code at
>> https://github.com/realthunder/a33_bootloader/tree/master/basic_loader/bsp/bsp_for_a67.
>
> Ah, that is both good and bad...
>
>> I've integrated it with mainline u-boot, still lot to do to post it to upstream
>
> Integrated sounds as if you've copied pieces of code from the bsp code you've found
> into mainline u-boot. That is a big no no (this the bad part). AFAIK the bsp code
> does not come with a GPL license header, and Allwinner does not want to release
> these bits under the GPL for whatever reasons, a lot can be said about this, but
> in the end currently the bsp code is not GPL licensed, so we cannot use it / copy
> from it. There can be no discussion on this, when you're submitting this upstream
> you must not have any literal copied code in the patch you're sending upstream.
>
> You can use non copyrightable information from the bsp sources like register
> names and the initialization algorithm (IANAL), but you must 100% write your own
> code!

Ok, so something (to me) quite unexpected has happened and Allwinner has just
released what seems to be ALL there boot0 code under the GPL, it can found here:

https://github.com/allwinner-zh/bootloader/tree/master/basic_loader/boot0
https://github.com/allwinner-zh/bootloader/tree/master/basic_loader/bsp

Specifically interesting for the discussion at hand is:
https://github.com/allwinner-zh/bootloader/blob/master/basic_loader/bsp/bsp_for_a33/init_dram/mctl_hal.c

Which caries a GPL header now. This completely changes my story above, whatever
you have (or had, sorry) was fine. It should still be cleaned up a bit, but all
my worries about copy and pasting non GPL code are gone now.

Regards,

Hans