[U-Boot] Regression in bootcmd handling in v2015.04-rc3?

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Wed Mar 11 22:35:02 CET 2015

On 03/11/2015 03:21 PM, Karsten Merker wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 02:31:07PM -0600, Stephen Warren wrote:
>
>> For manual booting, I would expect to always run the device-specific
>> command (e.g. bootcmd_usb0 or bootcmd_mmc1) rather than the
>> device-type-specific command (e.g. usb_boot, mmc_boot).
>>
>> I'm not sure how the type-generic commands ever worked without
>> variables such as ${devnum} set, since they all pass ${devnum} to a
>> variety of commands in addition to the new "part list". Perhaps
>> those commands default to devnum==0 if the parameter is missing, and
>> you never wanted to boot e.g. from mmc 1 instead of mmc 0?
>
> Yes, indeed - my boards only have a single instance of all devices.
>
> I have just tried to "single-step" through the bootcmd framework
> in u-boot 2014.10 (which is what Debian 8 will release with and
> where "run usb_boot" works).  All commands used there work when
> ${devnum} is empty and then default to 0, while the later-added
> "part list" fails without an explictly set ${devnum}.
>
> As a result I will need to update the Debian installation
> documentation.  As I would like to do it right this time ;-), I
> just would like to get the confirmation that the device-specific
> commands, such as "run bootcmd_usb0", are an "official" interface
> that is going to stay in future u-boot versions, or - if they are
> not - get the information what is the offical method for booting
> from a specific device at the prompt.

We don't actually have an official specification of that at present.
doc/README.distro should probably cover this but doesn't.

Suffice to say, I use those macros all the time, and I intended them to
be used this way when I wrote the boot scripts. So, if I notice a change
that stops them from working without extremely good reason, I'll complain.