[U-Boot] Question about board-specific Makefile actions

Masahiro Yamada yamada.masahiro at socionext.com
Tue Mar 17 06:58:21 CET 2015

Hi James,

>> These are correct in sub-directory Makefiles in general,
>> but unfortunately, "make clean" does not descend into board/ directory
>> for some reason.
>>
>> So, they do not work in board/*/Makefile
>

> Should this be considered a bug in the build system?

Kind of.

I hope it will be solved in a long run.

In U-Boot, ARCH, VENDOR, BOARD directories are still treated specially
for some historical reason.

Board directory is selected like follows:
libs-y += $(if $(BOARDDIR),board/$(BOARDDIR)/)

and it has made it difficult to descend into board/ by "make clean"
because "make clean" should not expect the existing .config file.

If we could completely switched to "obj-$(CONFIG_FOO)" style in the future,
this problem would go away.  We need more effort to achieve this.

> Should make descend
> into the board directory?

Yes.

> Or, at least, should there not be a way for a
> board directory to indicate which of any locally generated derived objects
> should be cleaned up?
> I hesitate to add to the top level Makefile for my specific board.

Sorry, I cannot suggest a good solution now.

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada