[U-Boot] Regression in usb-storage in u-boot 2015.04 ???

Bo Shen voice.shen at atmel.com
Fri Mar 27 07:36:34 CET 2015

Hi Hans,

On 03/27/2015 03:08 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First of all I'm not sure this is a regression, but I'm afraid
> I do not have time to dig deeper so I thought I should report
> it anyways and then others can try to reproduce it.
>
> I'm seeing the following happen when using a usb stick
> with a musb-new otg controller in host mode on an allwinner
> tablet:
>
> sunxi# usb reset
> resetting USB...
> USB0:   scanning bus 0 for devices... 1 USB Device(s) found
>         scanning usb for storage devices... error in inquiry
> 0 Storage Device(s) found
>
> The interesting thing is that, the first "usb start" works
> fine, this only happens on the second usb start (triggered
> through a usb reset).
>
> This may be specific to using musb on sunxi, or to the
> flashdrive I have but I thought I should report this
> anyways. Esp. since usb otherwise works fine after a
> usb reset, other devices (usb keyboards) continue to
> work, and the descriptors of the usb drive do get read
> correctly:
>

> sunxi# usb info
> 1: Mass Storage,  USB Revision 2.0
>   - USB Flash Disk 4C0E960F
>   - Class: (from Interface) Mass Storage
>   - PacketSize: 64  Configurations: 1
>   - Vendor: 0x058f  Product 0x6387 Version 1.3
>     Configuration: 1
>     - Interfaces: 1 Bus Powered 100mA
>       Interface: 0
>       - Alternate Setting 0, Endpoints: 2
>       - Class Mass Storage, Transp. SCSI, Bulk only
>       - Endpoint 1 Out Bulk MaxPacket 512
>       - Endpoint 2 In Bulk MaxPacket 512
>

> Perhaps someone can test the reproducer on another board
> with usb:
>
> 1) plug in a usb drive
> 2) do "usb start"
> 3) should print that 1 storage device is found
> 4) do "usb reset"
> 5) should still print that 1 storage device is found,
> but for me gives the error I mentioned above.

I tested it OK with EHCI on Atmel sama5d4ek board. The following
information for your reference.
--->8---
U-Boot SPL 2015.04-rc4-00067-gf643d92 (Mar 27 2015 - 14:31:49)

U-Boot 2015.04-rc4-00067-gf643d92 (Mar 27 2015 - 14:31:49)

CPU: SAMA5D44
Crystal frequency:       12 MHz
CPU clock        :      528 MHz
Master clock     :      176 MHz
DRAM:  512 MiB
NAND:  512 MiB
MMC:   mci: 0
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   gmac0, usb_ether
Error: usb_ether address not set.

Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
U-Boot> usb start
starting USB...
USB0:   USB EHCI 1.00
scanning bus 0 for devices... 2 USB Device(s) found
        scanning usb for storage devices... 1 Storage Device(s) found
U-Boot> usb reset
resetting USB...
USB0:   USB EHCI 1.00
scanning bus 0 for devices... 2 USB Device(s) found
        scanning usb for storage devices... 1 Storage Device(s) found
U-Boot>
---8<---

> Regards,
>
> Hans