[U-Boot] Relocation issue - need help!

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Oct 1 16:18:40 CEST 2015

Dear Andy,

In message <CAKWjMd71hXW9-ahCUQm_rWS6z5Srd3My4TJ4x3KDRTdsHXHb=A at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> > Given that GCC 4.9.1 apparently solves this issue I wonder which
> > approach we should take?
> Was there a resolution to this thread?

No, there was no real resolution.

My understanding was that there was an (unwritten) agreement that we
should avoid the broken GCC versions and switch to GCC 4.9.1 or later.

> I just spent a bunch of time
> trying to figure out why u-boot was crashing, and eventually
> determined that switching from 4.9.0 to 4.6.3 solved the problem.

Switching to GCC 4.9.1 is also supposed to work...

> Should I submit a patch to do what was suggested above? Or add the
> "blacklist" patch? If so, it should be noted that 4.9.0 is the current
> default installed when you ask buildman to install a powerpc cross
> compiler...

In my opinion, we should blacklist the versions.

But I am well aware that this would upset quite a lot of people as
their favorite toolchains would stop working, and not everybody is
really flexible here.

So perhaps a patch would be better - but how to test this? It is
probably not sufficient to fix the problem in
arch/powerpc/cpu/mpc5xxx/u-boot.lds - all the other linker sripts in
arch/powerpc/ look the same, so they probably need fixing, too.  And
what about the other architectures?  Should we fix ALL linker
scripts, even if we have no indication of breakage?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
To program is to be.