[U-Boot] Inconsistencies in commands regarding load_addr

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Tue Oct 6 20:09:13 CEST 2015

On 10/06/2015 09:00 AM, Benoît Thébaudeau wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just noticed that before the commit
> 045fa1e1142552799ad3203e9e0bc22a11e866ea, ext2load and ext4load were setting the
> load_addr global variable, but not fatload. Since then, none of these commands
> set load_addr (initially derived from the loadaddr environment variable).

Oh dear; I see that has indeed changed. Still, it's been 3 years so I
imagine nobody was using the feature?

> ubifsload also does not set load_addr, but a quick grep shows that some other
> filesystem commands set it, e.g. for zfs, jffs2, reiser or cramfs.
>
> Also, some commands set it only on success, while some other commands set it
> from the command line arguments unconditionally.
>
> What's the expected correct behavior here?

I'm not quite sure how useful the behaviour is; I'd tend towards not
setting $load_addr. If some script wants it set, it can easily do it itself.

Did you just notice this while reading code, or does this break some
existing use-case? If the latter, it seems reasonable to add the
previously-working feature back.