[U-Boot] Inconsistencies in commands regarding load_addr

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Oct 8 23:29:01 CEST 2015

Dear Stephen,

In message <56167DB6.3000508 at wwwdotorg.org> you wrote:

> >> What's the expected correct behavior here?
> >
> > After successful loading the data to memory, load_addr should be set
> > correctly, for all commands.  In the error case, the value of
> > load_addr is undefined.
>
> Is this documented anywhere? If not, I'm not convinced that there's a
> contract to be followed; it "just happens" that some filesystem-related
> commands work(ed) that way (and as Benoît pointed out, apparently some
> don't irrespective of the mentioned patch).

I'm afraid it's not documented, but it is what I would consider a sane
and consistent behaviour.  If we intend to implement POLA [1] (and I
very much think we should), this is how U-Boot should behave.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_least_astonishment

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
What we hope ever to do with ease, we must learn  first  to  do  with
diligence.                                           - Samuel Johnson