[U-Boot] Remove sparc archiecture?

Daniel Hellstrom daniel at gaisler.com
Sun Oct 18 23:30:24 CEST 2015

On 10/18/2015 05:20 PM, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
> (+CC Francois)

>> On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 06:19:16AM -0600, Simon Glass wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> It looks like sparc has no maintainer and has not been converted to
>>> generic board. Should we remove it?
>> Well, not quite "no maintainer", but... Daniel?  SPARC is in need of
>> some work (and possibly a new toolchain too, I stopped building it all
>> the time due to a false positive warning the 3.4.4 toolchain I have
>> gives).  Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> Tom
>
> I see generic board work for SPARC
>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/404616/
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/404618/
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/404617/
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/404619/
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/404620/
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/404622/
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/404621/
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/404624/
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/404623/
>
> but, Daniel was not responding...
>

> Perhaps, replace the maintainer if Francois agrees?

I regret to say that I've been too busy last two years and I don't see a
change during 2015 either.

I would not like to see the SPARC port removed now that the LEON
community grows as new LEON3 and LEON4 chips comes to market. WIth
multi-core and higher frequency there is a growing interest in u-boot
from the LEON community.

Nowadays there are LEON GCC targets mcpu=leon,leon3,leon3v7 so it should
be possible to setup a working toolchain based on GCC-4.9 which we use
for Linux and RTEMS. In the past I've used a GCC-4.4 toolchain from
Cobham Gaisler.

If Francois agrees it is probably a good idea to let him take over the
SPARC as he has put work into both BSP and architecture. Although I
would like to acknowledge my interest in u-boot and I hope and believe
that my efforts will be resumed in the future. Francois, if you feel it
is too much a temporary replacement could also be an option if the
u-boot project allows it.

Best Regards,
Daniel Hellstrom