[U-Boot] Pull request: u-boot-net

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Mon Jan 4 15:22:34 CET 2016

On Mon, Jan 04, 2016 at 09:48:08PM +0800, Bin Meng wrote:
> Hi Dirk,
>
> On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 7:46 PM, Dirk Eibach <dirk.eibach at gdsys.cc> wrote:
> > Hi Bin,

> >> The simple fix is to change change iocon to a more larger size since
> >> it has a 64MB flash. Dirk, can you please comment?
> >
> > The problem is the flash partition layout, coming from a time where
> > u-boot was an order of magnitude smaller :)
> >

> I guess so.
>
> > Updating partition layout in tens of thousands of devices in the field
> > is not an option for us.
> >

> I suspect 256KB won't fit anyway, if trying to make use of these new
> U-Boot features,eg: using driver model adds some more footprints too.
> So in your deployment, you just upgrade those devices in the field to
> latest U-Boot (new version) but not changing partition layout, for fix
> only?

I'm not convinced that we shouldn't be able to be useful in 256KB.
Sure, a kitchen-sink EVM + config will be large but iocon is a defined
production type config.  If we can't make this work, I'm going to be
worried.  I've already gotten some aside pokes about making U-Boot
shrink down when you turn stuff off.

I want to cycle back to saying that we need to look at ways to
work-around the gcc issue that's keeping a bunch of unused strings in
the resulting binary.

--
Tom