[U-Boot] Are non-default configurations expected to work? Re: usb: dwc2: does not compile in 2016-rc3 when updating from -rc1.

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Sun Jan 10 20:04:06 CET 2016

On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 07:39:29PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:

> > > Can you please test mainline before complaining?
> >
> > Yes I _did_ test mainline AND booted it on the actual board. The USB does work
> > (if you disable dcache, which is unrelated bug). It would be very nice if you
> > did the same thing before you start yelling on the list that there is a bug.
> >
> > The config you use and the one produced by make socfpga_cyclone5_defconfig
> > differ. Use the mainline one, otherwise you will observe possible
> > problems.
>
> Of course they differ. That's why they are called configuration _options_.

True.

> > > With d77a092dd3619ca747fb8290ae8f255e9799aaa6 and attached .config, I
> > > get the failure. No, CONFIG_DM_USB is not set in the config, which is
> > > probably the problem.
> >
> > Again, the problem does not happen if you use mainline config. If you enable
> > random options, you might run into random problems.
> >
> > > Maybe socfpga should select DM_USB or depend on it?
> >
> > u-boot$ git grep DM_USB configs/socfpga_*
> > configs/socfpga_arria5_defconfig:CONFIG_DM_USB=y
> > configs/socfpga_cyclone5_defconfig:CONFIG_DM_USB=y
> > configs/socfpga_de0_nano_soc_defconfig:CONFIG_DM_USB=y
> > configs/socfpga_mcvevk_defconfig:CONFIG_DM_USB=y
> > configs/socfpga_sockit_defconfig:CONFIG_DM_USB=y
> > configs/socfpga_socrates_defconfig:CONFIG_DM_USB=y
> >
> > So your config is broken or outdated, please update your config.
>
> No. Mainline is broken. Yes, it happens to work with defconfig. But it
> should work with any configuration user can select.

So, here's the problem.  Disabling CONFIG_DM_USB is not a long term
solution.  If there's a problem when CONFIG_DM_USB is not set, it should
be diagnosed and fixed, especially since we might have a mirror of the
issue inside the DM code, or it might be a more core problem and we
simply luck out in the DM case.

--
Tom