[U-Boot] AM335x SPI boot not working

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Thu Jan 14 22:01:00 CET 2016

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 03:34:24PM +0100, Lars Poeschel wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I played a bit with spi boot on my am3359. It is currently not working with u-
> boot at least with the machine I work here. Has anyone else problems with spi
> boot on am335x ?
>
> On boot SPL reads a value from a processor register to determine from which
> device it was booting and it uses that value to continue booting process from
> that same device.
> I found, that in my case the processor register contained a 0x0b and SPL could
> not match that to a hardware device. BOOT_DEVICE_SPI is defined as 0x15 in
> arch/arm/include/asm/arch-am33xx/spl.h. SPL does not find a mathch for 0x0b,
> decides this is an unknown value and stalls. So far so good.
>
> I looked up in the technical reference manual if the value 0x15 is correct. I
> had TRM rev. F on my harddrive and found the value in 26.1.10.2, on page 4295
> and it is indeed 0x15 as in u-boot.
> I looked on TI website for a new version of the TRM and they currently have
> rev. L. There I found in 26.1.10.2 on page 4960 that SPI boot has 0x0b!
>
> My question is now how to best cope with this issue and if anybody has more
> information on what happend.
> I don't know if they only made a mistake in the TRM and fixed that or if they
> have new silicone revisions that really have another boot device value for spi
> boot.
> What can we do ?

Sorry for the late reply.  It sounds like at some point post PG2.1 TI
changed at least the value used for SPI boot.  I have in the past
validated SPI boot on my AM335x GP EVM with PG2.1 silicon.  SPI boot on
this hardware is not supported officially due to I believe hardware
design issues.  Did you make any further progress here?  Did making the
value U-Boot checks by 0x0b make things suddenly work?  Thanks!

--
Tom