[U-Boot] Sandbox DT for testing (unit tests)

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Wed Jan 27 00:08:57 CET 2016

Hi Stephen,

On 26 January 2016 at 15:36, Stephen Warren <swarren at wwwdotorg.org> wrote:
> Simon,
>
> I noticed that under sandbox, "ut dm" needs sandbox to have been started
> with arch/sandbox/dts/test.dtb. A few questions related to that:
>
> a) Is it safe and does it make sense to always use that DT when running
> Sandbox for tests (e.g. under test/py)?

Yes.

> b) Does it make sense for that DT to be the default (perhaps bundled into
> the executable like other DT-using platforms, or perhaps the default value
> for the -d option if the user supplies none)?

There is a separate sandbox.dts which is the default with the -D
option. I don't think the test.dts should be used by default at
present.

> c) Is it possible for "ut dm" to detect if the correct DT has been loaded
> (e.g. by reading some property only in that file as a marker) and only
> execute tests that don't rely on test.dtb if test.dtb isn't in use?

Sure - just look for something that should be there, or perhaps check
the compatible string or model in the root node?

> I think running "ut env" and "ut time" under test/py should be very easy,
> although the test log will only report overall status, not the status of
> each individual test within the ut invocation. That information will still
> be in the log file though. I'll go add tests for those two at least.

Sounds good. But presumably it would not be too hard to report the
status of each individual test?

Regards,
Simon