[U-Boot] u-boot for Galileo board

Bin Meng bmeng.cn at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 03:53:42 CEST 2016

Hi Changcheng,

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 7:22 PM, Liu, Changcheng
<changcheng.liu at intel.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>     I have some questions about the u-boot for Galileo2 board.
>

>     1. Code: https://github.com/LeMaker/u-boot (it's for Galileo board which could be ported for Galileo2 board)

What's Galileo2 board? If you are talking about Galileo gen2 board,
this is already supported by current U-Boot. In fact, both Galileo
gen1 and gen2 boards are supported in U-Boot with the same code base.

>     2. Confusing at the building process.
>
>            a. objcopy  --gap-fill=0xff -O binary -R .start16 -R .resetvec u-boot u-boot.bin
>
>                Question: Why the ".resetvec" section should be removed since it's placed at "0xffffffff0" section according to arch/x86/cpu/u-boot.lds?

The bootable image u-boot.rom will have these sections backfilled by
ifdtool. See Makefile: IFDTOOL_FLAGS += -w
$(CONFIG_SYS_X86_START16):$(objtree)/u-boot-x86-16bit.bin

>            b. cat u-boot.bin dts/dt.dtb > u-boot-dtb.bin
>
>                Question:
>
>                I think ROM is layout at the top of the physical address and quark x1000 SoC will fetch instruction from  FFFF_FFF0H after being power on. If dts/dt.dtb is appended after u-boot.bin, how could the content is effective at FFFF_FFF0H?

Like you mentioned above, u-boot.bin has the .resetvec removed, so
itself does not contain anything that occupies FFFF_FFF0h.

Regards,
Bin