[U-Boot] spl_mmc: allow to load raw image

Masahiro Yamada yamada.masahiro at socionext.com
Sun May 1 10:37:42 CEST 2016

Hi Adam,

> On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 12:53 PM, Tom Rini <trini at konsulko.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 09:59:00AM -0500, Adam Ford wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone with an OMAP3 board have any issues with this patch?  I
>>> will admit I haven't stayed on top of stuff due to moving, and other
>>> issues at home, but I pulled down the master to reviews some on
>>> related stuff, and found that master doesn't boot.  I used git bisect
>>> this morning and it narrowed down a problem with booting to this
>>> patch.
>>>
>>> With the patch, I get:
>>>
>>> U-Boot SPL 2016.03-00378-g4976f48 (Apr 29 2016 - 09:25:27)
>>> Trying to boot from MMC
>>
>> OK.  Do you have u-boot.bin or u-boot.img (which?) written to the raw
>> offset in MMC or from filesystem?  Based on the log it looks like
>> filesystem.
>
> I have u-boot.img copied to the fatfs on the card, but I didn't put it
> in a specific location.
>
> I never used to have to do that.  Is this a new behavior and is it
> documented somewhere?
>
> adam

You are expecting to boot it from FAT,
but I think spl_boot_mode() on your board returns MMCSD_MODE_RAW.

Can you fix the function to return MMCSD_MODE_FS?

This commit changed to allow to load raw U-Boot image,
so MMCSD_MODE_RAW never fails.

So, you can no longer rely on the former behavior
"try MMCSD_MODE_RAW first, and fallback to MMCSD_MODE_FS".

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada