[U-Boot] reset uclass rename?

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Wed May 11 20:45:03 CEST 2016

Simon,

For Tegra186 support, I'd like to introduce a reset subsystem into
U-Boot, to support the reset DT bindings[1]. It'd be equivalent to the
existing reset subsystem in Linux. This binding/subsystem does/would
control reset of e.g. individual HW blocks in an SoC, or individual
chips on the board.

It looks like there's already a "reset" uclass (include/reset.h,
drivers/misc/reset*.c). However, that seems to address a slightly
different case; CPU- or system-level reset rather than individual blocks.

I'd like to propose renaming the existing uclass to sysreset (system
reset) to allow the new per-block/-module reset uclass/subsystem just
"reset". Does that make sense to you, or should I name the new
uclass/subsystem e.g. "module_reset"?

An alternative might be to extend the existing U-Boot reset subsystem to
cover the new use-case too. However, U-Boot's existing concepts of warm
vs. cold vs. power reset, and reset_walk_halt() don't exist in the reset
DT bindings, so my instinct is that combining the two doesn't make sense
semantically; I believe the sysreset API is a higher level concept that
may use the raw capabilities of the new reset API in some HW-specific
implementations.

[1]
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/reset
(in particular, reset.txt)