[U-Boot] "make clean" not traversing into board-specific directories?

Masahiro Yamada yamada.masahiro at socionext.com
Sat May 14 11:10:36 CEST 2016

> Hi,
>

> On 05/13/2016 01:50 PM, Fabio Estevam wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jörg,
>>
>> On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 1:57 PM,
>> <Joerg.Scheuermann at continental-corporation.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am using u-boot 2015.04 and have a mechanism implemented in the
>>> board-specific Makefile for our board,
>>> which uses xsltproc to generate header-files from xml input files - this
>>> part is working by now.
>>>
>>> what is still not working is the removal of those generated files upon
>>> calling "make clean",
>>> and after some initial inspection I found out, that the board-specific
>>> directories are completely ignored when calling "make clean"!
>>>
>>> - why is that the case, can't those directories not also be visited when
>>> cleaning things up?
>>

>> It works fine for me.
>>
>> I built mx7dsabresd_defconfig with mainline U-boot and after that I see:
>>
>> ls board/freescale/mx7dsabresd/
>> built-in.o    imximage.cfg.cfgtmp  MAINTAINERS  mx7dsabresd.c
>> mx7dsabresd.o
>> imximage.cfg  Kconfig              Makefile     mx7dsabresd.su
>>
>> Then after a 'make clean'
>>
>> ls board/freescale/mx7dsabresd/
>> imximage.cfg  Kconfig  MAINTAINERS  Makefile  mx7dsabresd.c
>>
>> ,which worked as expected.
>

> In March of 2015, I was told that the board directories are not visited for
> "make clean". Quoting Mr. Masahiro Yamada
>

>> CLEAN_FILES is only available at the top-level Makefile.
>>
>> Add
>> CLEAN_FILES += board/my_board/test.img
>> to the top-level Makefile, and it should work.
>>

>>> clean-files += test.img
>>> clean-files := test.img
>>
>> These are correct in sub-directory Makefiles in general,
>> but unfortunately, "make clean" does not descend into board/ directory
>> for some reason.
>>
>> So, they do not work in board/*/Makefile
>>

> This was quite a while ago, so changes may have been made for more recent
> releases. But at one time (v2014.07), "make clean" did not visit board
> directories.

Nothing has happened since then.
"make clean" still does not visit board directories.

For Fabio's case, '*.cfgtmp' is deleted by the pattern rule.

clean: $(clean-dirs)
        $(call cmd,rmdirs)
        $(call cmd,rmfiles)
        @find $(if $(KBUILD_EXTMOD), $(KBUILD_EXTMOD), .) $(RCS_FIND_IGNORE) \
                \( -name '*.[oas]' -o -name '*.ko' -o -name '.*.cmd' \
                -o -name '*.ko.*' -o -name '*.su' -o -name '*.cfgtmp' \
                -o -name '.*.d' -o -name '.*.tmp' -o -name '*.mod.c' \
                -o -name '*.symtypes' -o -name 'modules.order' \
                -o -name modules.builtin -o -name '.tmp_*.o.*' \
                -o -name '*.gcno' \) -type f -print | xargs rm -f

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada