[U-Boot] RFC, dm: devices and device_info platdata manual relocation

Angelo Dureghello angelo at sysam.it
Sat May 14 12:59:21 CEST 2016

Hi all,

i have seen, updating u-boot in NOR parallel flash,
that the U_BOOT_DEVICE structure "platdata" ptr is
still pointing to flash, so the update (rewriting
flash) die silently and fails.

I have found a workaround using misc_init_r that works
in my board.c, as below, but i don't like too much the solution:

#include <dm/platform_data/serial_coldfire.h>

DECLARE_GLOBAL_DATA_PTR;

int misc_init_r(void)
{
	/*
	 * FIXME: relocation seems not working properly on m68k,
	 * so relocating manually
	 */
	struct udevice *dev;
	int retval;

	printf("misc_init_r(): entering\n");

	retval = uclass_find_device(UCLASS_SERIAL, 0, &dev);

	if (!retval) {
		printf("misc_init_r(): relocating serial device\n");

		dev->platdata += gd->reloc_off;
	}

	return 0;
}

static struct coldfire_serial_platdata mcf5307_serial_plat = {
	.base = CONFIG_SYS_UART_BASE,
	.port = 0,
	.baudrate = CONFIG_BAUDRATE,
};

U_BOOT_DEVICE(coldfire_serial) = {
	.name = "serial_coldfire",
	.platdata = &mcf5307_serial_plat,
};

So, i can keep this changes in my board, but, i am wondering if
manual-reloc of devices structures is maybe responsibility of
drivers/core/root.c, something like

int dm_init(void)

{

#if defined(CONFIG_NEEDS_MANUAL_RELOC)