[U-Boot] when stuff in a "common/" directory has no value?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sun May 15 17:29:01 CEST 2016

On Sun, 15 May 2016, Mario Six wrote:

... snip ...

> board/Marvell/common/memory.c is one of two files that still "use"
> the ancient GTREGREAD macro, the last definition of which has been
> removed from the source with d92866; the only other file that uses
> it is drivers/rtc/ds1302.c, where I just stumbled across it.
>
> So, to answer your question: nope, the file wouldn't even compile :-)
>
> I'd say post a patch series that axes both files on grounds of using
> undefined ancient macros (if somebody wants to rescue the DS1302
> driver, they're welcome, but I doubt it, since no board in the tree
> uses it, anyway).

  unless i'm misreading, *everything* under Marvell/common/ can be
removed ... as you say, memory.c is now unused. then i2c.h and
intel_flash.h appear unnecessary, as their corresponding source files
were removed in commit 03b00407:

 arch/powerpc/cpu/74xx_7xx/Kconfig  |   16 -
 arch/powerpc/cpu/74xx_7xx/start.S  |   13 +-
 board/Marvell/common/flash.c       | 1056 --------------------
 board/Marvell/common/i2c.c         |  521 ----------
 board/Marvell/common/intel_flash.c |  253 -----
 board/Marvell/common/misc.S        |  235 -----

serial.c describes itself as "serial support for the gal ev board",
whose support appears to have been dropped. and without serial.c, i
don't see anyone using either ns16550.h or ns16550.c, and at that
point, the two files under include/, memory.h and pci.h, seem
superfluous.

  am i just misreading stuff?

rday

p.s. perhaps an obvious question, but should a vendor's common/
directory be referenced only from within that vendor's board
directories? it would make no sense to me for other parts of the
U-Boot tree to be pulling stuff out of some vendor's common/
directory.

                        http://crashcourse.ca