[U-Boot] Altera Cyclone 5 UART Communication Issues - U-Boot 2016.03

Nathan Barrett nathan.barrett at ndc.com
Mon May 16 14:35:17 CEST 2016

Hello All,

I'm currently running U-Boot 2016.03 on a Terasic SoC Kit without any apparent issues.

However, when I go to run the same build on our custom board, the debug port's UART0 RXD fails to receive any key presses when I'm attempting to stop autoboot.

On both boards, the debug UART0 TX and RX lines are using the same pins for.  The only difference between the boards is that our custom board is routing the UART TX and RX lines through the FPGA fabric.

I'm making sure to start up the FPGA with these few additional lines in the boot sequence:

#fatload mmc 0:${mmcloadpart} 0x2000000 soc_system.rbf; fpga load 0 0x2000000 0x23C1B4;

I can tell that the FPGA does seem to be running fine, as the UART TX is coming through (I see all the proper boot info) and an FPGA controlled heartbeat LED starts blinking.

Does anyone have any insight into what could be going on?

Thank you,

Nathan Barrett

confidentiality: This e-mail and its attachments are intended
for the above named only and may be confidential. If they have
come to you in error you must take no action based on them, nor
must you copy or show them to anyone; please reply to this e-
mail and highlight the error.

Security Warning: Please note that this e-mail has been created
in the knowledge that Internet e-mail is not a 100% secure
communications medium. We advise that you understand and observe
this lack of security when e-mailing us. Viruses: Although we
have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and attachments are
free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good
computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually
virus free.