[U-Boot] Ethernet on Colombus (sun6i-a31-colombus)

Maxime Ripard maxime.ripard at free-electrons.com
Thu May 19 14:48:11 CEST 2016

Hi,

On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 10:53:50AM +0200, Quentin Schulz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I put U-Boot for the Colombus on an SD Card but could not make Ethernet
> work.
>
> In U-Boot v2015.10, v2016.01 and v2016.05, Ethernet port is not detected.
> In U-Boot v2016.03, the Ethernet port is detected but cannot be used. I
> get the following error:

To be a Bit more precise, we've been (obviously) using the
Colombus_defconfig configuration.

In the former case, the ethernet device doesn't even get registered
apparently (while it does on the hummingbird, which is kind of weird).

In the latter, we get:
> => dhcp
> ethernet at 01c30000 Waiting for PHY auto negotiation to complete.........
> TIMEOUT !
> ethernet at 01c30000: No link.

Which seems to be that the PHY isn't powered up. We looked at the
schematics, and there's nothing really standing out. Chen-Yu also
suggested to poke the PA21 pin that is usually used for PHY reset, but
it didn't really change anything.

I think you had a Colombus Hans, have you tested it lately? Was it
working out of the box for you, or is there some GPIO that needs to be
poked somewhere?

Thanks,
Maxime

--