[U-Boot] imx53 performance issue after updating to version 2016.9 (tftp download, hash calculation)

Martin Reichherzer martin at reichherzer.de
Tue Oct 4 18:44:00 CEST 2016

After updating a mx53 based custom design to u-boot version 2016.9 from 2013.10 I’m facing performance problems. Change in performance can be observed e.g. during following situations:
-          TFTP download has decreased from  3 MiB/s to only  517.6 KiB/s
-          Hash value calculation (sha1) during FIT image format check. Hash calculation now takes a noticeable amount of time instead of finishing virtually immediately.

Unfortunately I don’t have access to a Freescale evaluation board to cross check my problems with another i.Mx53 based design.
My first assumption was a connection with caching, but according to lowlevel_init.S L2 cache is enabled. Same for D-cache and I-cache.
Is anybody facing the same problems or could state information about the behavior on other MX53 boards? Any other suggestions?

Regards
Martin