[U-Boot] ACPI in general

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Thu Oct 6 03:58:09 CEST 2016

On Wed, Oct 05, 2016 at 08:48:55PM -0500, Timur Tabi wrote:
> Tom Rini wrote:
> >Well, I wouldn't phrase it quite like that.  I would ask, do we want to
> >go down this path?  How far down would we want to go, if so?
>
> ACPI is pretty complicated, more so than DT.  UEFI is also open
> source.  I think you need to find a very compelling reason to
> reinvent the wheel.

Yes.  But in brief, we also don't go fully down the ACPI path for x86.
But we can do "something".

I assume you mean EDK II when you say UEFI is open source, and yes
that's true.  But I've said in other places (and other contexts) choices
make all projects stronger.

> ACPI on ARM is reserved for ARM Servers, which is a small market (in
> term of number of units) compared to all other ARM chips.

I think that takes too narrow of a view.  If silicon is sold, someone
will put it somewhere.  And if there's firmware that works, and the
buyer can modify to suit their design, they'll use it.

--
Tom