[U-Boot] [RFC] Proposal on changing raw boot mode

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Fri Oct 21 14:51:53 CEST 2016

On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 08:07:24PM +0300, Sam Protsenko wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'd like to make two changes on how raw MMC address and size of U-Boot
> are represented. But I think it's better to discuss it first, so we
> are on the same page about it.
>
> Basically I want to review two config options here.
>
> 1. CONFIG_SYS_U_BOOT_MAX_SIZE_SECTORS
>
>     Simple grep shows us that noone actually uses this constant
> (despite it's being defined for multiple boards). So I'm thinking to
> remove it altogether. What do you think about that?

With the one exception that's been pointed out, yes.

> 2. CONFIG_SYS_MMCSD_RAW_MODE_U_BOOT_SECTOR
>
>     For TI boards it's defined in common file:
> include/configs/ti_armv7_common.h . So if some board has another
> U-Boot partition address (on MMC), it must redefine that option after
> including ti_armv7_common.h.
>
>     Historical background: actually I tried to change this address
> before, because DRA7 EVM and AM57x EVM / X15 boards are broken in
> mainline U-Boot right now. My attempt [1] turned out to be
> ill-designed, as it broke other boards (IIRC, it was BeagleBone
> Black): [2]. Which further led to reverting my patch: [3].
>
>     It remains to be a problem, though. So I see 2 possible ways how to fix it:
>
>     (a) Just re-define this address in corresponding board configs (headers).
>     (b) Convert this option to Kconfig and define it correctly in each
> board's defconfig.

This, and a few other options, are SPL-specific things that didn't have
SPL in the prefix and weren't converted along with Simon's series that
covered almost everything else.  So yes, please convert this to Kconfig,
put it in common/spl/Kconfig, and have sane defaults for various
platforms.

But also note that when we modify the TI platforms we will have to be
careful to not break other use-cases as, iirc, part of the problem was
that you want make the Android values the default values for platforms
that quite often also run not-Android.

Thanks!

--
Tom