[U-Boot] Unbricking process with separate environment binary?

Lukasz Majewski lukma at denx.de
Tue Apr 11 07:40:53 UTC 2017

Hi John,

> nstead of having 2 builds of u-boot, one which defaults to fastboot
> and one for normal booting, is it possible to have one u-boot binary
> and a separate environment piece (especially for bootcmd, but maybe
> also for some scripts)?

If I might ask - where your envs are stored? Do they have a separate
area in NAND or eMMC memory?

If yes, then I suppose that you also have the possibility to write data
to this memory in the production?

If yes (again) then maybe it would be better to only adjust (and
replace) the default environment on board?

For example:

1. You extract envs by using the scripts/get_default_envs.sh - modify
it and then use mkenvimage to produce new env image.

2. You store u-boot (with NAND/eMMC not programmed) to your device.
This u-boot has default environment with instructions for flashing.

3. You flash your final envs prepared in point 1.

p.s. This scheme also works with "redundant" envs.

Best regards,

Lukasz Majewski

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de