[U-Boot] Marvell Kirkwood Guruplug Server Standard upgrade uboot and standalone app issue

Kernel Hacker kernel.hacker8 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 04:04:11 UTC 2017

I have a Guruplug server standard that I would like to upgrade with a
newer version of u-boot. Serial output during boot currently shows the
following:

----------------cut----------------

U-Boot 2009.11-rc1-00602-g8e6db3d (Dec 24 2009 - 03:11:17)
Marvell-Plug2

SoC:   Kirkwood 88F6281_A0
DRAM:  512 MB
NAND:  512 MiB
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   egiga0
88E1121 Initialized on egiga0
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
Marvell>>

----------------cut----------------

I cloned git://git.denx.de/u-boot-marvell.git and built u-boot off
master branch:

make mrproper
make guruplug_config
make CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-eabi- u-boot.kwb

I wanted to verify that my uboot works properly on my device before
committing to flash since I don't have a JTAG available at the moment.
However, when I tftp the new u-boot.bin image to the device and issue a
"go 0x......" command it never starts (no output after "Starting
application at ...".

Also, to do a sanity check I tried to get the standalone hello_world.bin
to run in the current u-boot and I am unable to get this to work. I
loaded the hellow_world.bin to 0x0c100000 (tftp 0x0c100000
hello_world.bin" and then I issue "go 0x0c100000" and again nothing is
printed after the "Starting application at ..." is printed by u-boot.

So my questions are what am I doing wrong and am I using the right repo,
branch, and configuration?

Appreciate any pointers.