[U-Boot] U-boot 2017.07 not working on Raspberry Pi

Paul Barker pbarker at toganlabs.com
Wed Aug 2 12:13:30 UTC 2017

I'm currently testing U-boot 2017.07 on Raspberry Pi, both on a Model
B+ and a Raspberry Pi 3. On both devices I'm seeing two issues with
u-boot:

* U-boot can't boot the Linux kernel, it just hangs at "Starting kernel ...".

* U-boot doesn't recognise any input via a USB keyboard.

These issues were not present in U-boot 2017.05. I see them both when
building U-boot via OpenEmbedded and when building using
arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc on Debian Stretch (GCC 6.3.0).

After bisecting to identify the commits which introduced these issues,
I've found I can get a working U-boot by doing the following:

* Start with U-boot 2017.07

* Revert "dm: arm: rpi: Move to driver model for USB" (25085236)

* Revert "dm: arm: rpi: Use driver model for Ethernet" (d90385be)

* Revert "dm: arm: rpi: Drop CONFIG_OF_EMBED" (25877d4e)

* Drop CONFIG_USB_STORAGE as leaving this enables gives a compile
error when CONFIG_DM_USB is not set.

I've staged these changes here for testing:
https://gitlab.com/toganlabs/u-boot/commits/pbarker/rpi

Reverting these commits is definitely a step backwards though so I'm
hoping for another solution. Has anyone else has seen these issues and
got any ideas? Or has anyone else got U-boot 2017.07 working on the
Raspberry Pi?

Please let me know if you need any more details.

Thanks,

--
Paul Barker
Co-Founder & Principal Engineer