[U-Boot] spi flash env and driver model

Chris Packham judge.packham at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 10:31:48 UTC 2017

Hi,

I'm looking at a problem on the db-88f6820-amc board (which has it's
env on spi flash). Somewhere in the init sequence we get a crash.

git bisect leads me to commit 8fee8845e7 ("enf_sf: reuse
setup_flash_device instead of open coding it") but I don't think
that's actually the problem. The real problem seems to be the way
setup_spi_device() relies on the speed to come from the device-tree.
Even when I specify a speed for the spi-flash in the device tree it
doesn't seem to stick. The only thing that seems to work is restoring
the CONFIG_ENV_SPI_MAX_HZ in the DM_SPI_FLASH case.

I can submit that as a patch but it seems contrary to the intentions
of commit 96907c0fe5 ("dm: spi: Read default speed and mode values
from DT").

Does anyone have any thoughts as to where to go with this?

Thanks,
Chris