[U-Boot] SPDX License status

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Aug 25 07:46:00 UTC 2017

Dear Tom,

In message <20170825012557.GK2827 at bill-the-cat> you wrote:

> Actual code we have to take care with anyhow, but it's still up to the
> person that has to handle the syncing.

Really?  Should we not rather implement a common, consistent policy
for the whole project?

Our patch submission already include a rule for new code [1]:

        If you add new files, please always make sure that these
        contain your copyright note and a GPLv2+
        SPDX-License-Identifier, for example like this:

	(C) Copyright 2010  Joe Hacker <jh at hackers.paradise.com>

	SPDX-License-Identifier:	GPL-2.0+

Should we not ask the same for code merged from other projects?

[1] Bullet #3 in http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/U-Boot/Patches#Attributing_Code_Copyrights_Sign

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
On mules we find two legs behind and two we find before.
We stand behind before we find what those behind be for.