[U-Boot] u-boot Licensing exception with OpenSSL

Vagrant Cascadian vagrant at debian.org
Tue Dec 5 15:31:47 UTC 2017

On 2017-12-04, Tom Rini wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 12:50:47PM -0800, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
>
>> There are a few targets (clearfog, turris_omnia) and features (signing
>> in mkimage) in the Debian build of u-boot that have been avoided due to
>> lack of clarity on Licensing issues regarding GPL and OpenSSL
>> compatibility issues.
> So, the most likely thing that could be accomplished (as I don't see how
> we could add exemptions without some legal consult) would be to re-write
> the small areas in question to use libgnutls rather than openssl for
> checking the certificates, etc.

Thanks for the response!

Yes, adding an exception would require, at the very least, tracking down
all copyright holders to the portions of the code that include openssl
headers and/or code...

Switching to gnutls would definitely be an ideal solution from my
perspective packaging u-boot in Debian, though I'm not sure I can
personally commit to making it happen.

A rough starting point for which code may need to be modified:

  $ git grep -i include.*openssl
  include/image.h:# include  <openssl/evp.h>
  lib/rsa/rsa-sign.c:#include <openssl/bn.h>
  lib/rsa/rsa-sign.c:#include <openssl/rsa.h>
  lib/rsa/rsa-sign.c:#include <openssl/pem.h>
  lib/rsa/rsa-sign.c:#include <openssl/err.h>
  lib/rsa/rsa-sign.c:#include <openssl/ssl.h>
  lib/rsa/rsa-sign.c:#include <openssl/evp.h>
  lib/rsa/rsa-sign.c:#include <openssl/engine.h>
  tools/kwbimage.c:#include <openssl/bn.h>
  tools/kwbimage.c:#include <openssl/rsa.h>
  tools/kwbimage.c:#include <openssl/pem.h>
  tools/kwbimage.c:#include <openssl/err.h>
  tools/kwbimage.c:#include <openssl/evp.h>
  tools/mxsimage.c:#include <openssl/evp.h>

live well,
  vagrant