[U-Boot] Swig now required to build U-Boot?

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Fri Dec 8 23:57:12 UTC 2017

On 12/08/2017 04:53 PM, Simon Glass wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> On 8 December 2017 at 16:28, Stephen Warren <swarren at wwwdotorg.org> wrote:
>> Simon,
>>
>> Is it expected that the latest u-boot-dm.git master branch now requires
>> swig? All the non-sandbox builds on my test systems are failing:
>>
>>    CHK     include/config/uboot.release
>>    CHK     include/generated/timestamp_autogenerated.h
>>    GEN     ./Makefile
>>    UPD     include/generated/timestamp_autogenerated.h
>>    CHK     include/config.h
>>    CFG     u-boot.cfg
>>    SHIPPED scripts/dtc/pylibfdt/libfdt.i
>>    PYMOD   scripts/dtc/pylibfdt/_libfdt.so
>> unable to execute 'swig': No such file or directory
>> error: command 'swig' failed with exit status 1
>> make[4]: *** [scripts/dtc/pylibfdt/_libfdt.so] Error 1
>> make[3]: *** [scripts/dtc/pylibfdt] Error 2
>> make[2]: *** [scripts/dtc] Error 2
>> make[1]: *** [scripts] Error 2
>> make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
>
> Yes, unless we have a very recent libfdt on the system (and even then
> I'm not sure that it is picked up). We need swig to build pylibfdt
> which is needed for binman.

Which version of swig is required? (Perhaps the makefile could check for
the required minimum version and bail out early with a mesage, like it
does for dtc and gcc?)

I have 2.0.11 available in the distro package repository, but I see that
3.0.x exists on swig.org. I hope I can get away with installing the
standard OS package.