[U-Boot] ARM64 Allwinner Binary Size

Alexander Graf agraf at suse.de
Tue Dec 19 13:28:03 UTC 2017

On 12/19/2017 02:12 PM, Maxime Ripard wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 05, 2017 at 10:28:20AM +0000, Andre Przywara wrote:
>> So even though the actual u-boot.bin for 64-bit boards is still somewhat
>> below the limit (~480KB), adding the ATF image (~32KB) pushes it over
>> the edge. So since v2017.11 u-boot.itb is already too big for the
>> traditional MMC env location.
> So I've had a quick look about what could go possibly go away in our
> current armv8 config (using the pine64+ defconfig). Let me know if
> some are actually vitals:
>
>   - FIT_ENABLE_SHA256_SUPPORT
>   - CONSOLE_MUX
>   - CMD_CRC32

We use this in travis tests, but since no Allwinner systems are present
there, I guess we don't care.

>   - CMD_LZMADEC
>   - CMD_UNZIP
>   - CMD_LOADB
>   - CMD_LOADS
>   - CMD_MISC (actually implementing the command sleep)
>   - ISO_PARTITION (yes. For CDROMs.)

This one is needed to boot openSUSE or SLES images, since they come as
.iso with el torito (which then gets booted using distro + bootefi).

>   - VIDEO_BPP8, VIDEO_BPP16
>   - VIDEO_ANSI
>   - SHA256
>   - LZMA
>
> Removing those options make the u-boot.itb binary size going from
> 516kB to 478kB, making it functional again *and* allowing us to enable
> the DT overlays that seem way more important than any feature
> mentionned above (and bumps the size to 483kB).
>
> Let me know what you think,

Out of the ones above, only ISO_PARTITION is the one I would definitely
care about; please don't remove that one ;)

Alex