[U-Boot] How to restore NVRAM on MTD partition from backup

Lukasz Majewski lukma at denx.de
Thu Dec 28 22:09:37 UTC 2017

Hi,

> Missed that mail :(
>
> it's old board, I have no source code for that customized version of
> bootloader.
>
> I have commands
> loadb   - load binary file over serial line (kermit mode)
> loads   - load S-Record file over serial line
> loady   - load binary file over serial line (ymodem mode)

You should be able to use kermit to upload new data to RAM (to some
address).

> NAND device: Manufacturer ID: 0xad, Chip ID: 0x75 (Hynix NAND 32MiB
> 3,3V 8-bit) The NVRAM is MTD partition on "gen_nand":
> 0x01f00000-0x01f80000 : "NVRAM"
> dev:    size   erasesize  name
> mtd9: 00080000 00004000 "NVRAM"

So the NVRAM is a mtd partition for NAND.

What is the output of mtdparts command?

> The cp command is available in bootloader
>
> # help cp
> cp [.b, .w, .l] source target count
>     - copy memory

It should be enough to use "nand" commands:
https://www.denx.de/wiki/DULG/UBootCmdGroupNand

Erase, then write the mtd9 partition.

> Regards,
> Alex
> On Fri, 12/22/17, Lukasz Majewski <lukma at denx.de> wrote:
>
>  Subject: Re: [U-Boot] How to restore NVRAM on MTD partition from
> backup To: "A.W.C." <bluestream at ymail.com>
>  Cc: u-boot at lists.denx.de
>  Date: Friday, December 22, 2017, 11:58 PM
>
>  On Wed, 20 Dec 2017 13:19:58
>  +0000 (UTC)
>  "A.W.C." <bluestream at ymail.com>
>  wrote:
>
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > U-Boot 2009.03 on
>  custom board.
>
>  Nice :-)
>
>  I assume that it is not
>  possible to move to newer one?
>
>  >How to restore NVRAM on MTD partition
>  > from backup use U-boot memory commands, by
>  uploading backup over
>  > serial line?
>  (kermit mode or ymodem mode) NAND flash type.
>
>  It depends on what commands do
>  you have?
>
>  Yes, it would be
>  best to use load command to get the data via serial
>  line, store it in RAM and then flash it on
>  persistent memory.
>
>  How do
>  you access NVRAM? (Is it really this memory - not some
>  Parallel
>  NAND, SPI-NOR, OneNAND)?
>
>  If it has a custom driver
>  ,then you may want to look for 'cp' or other
>  command.
>
>  >

>  > Regards,
>  >
>  Alex
>  >
>  >
>  >

>  Best regards,
>
>  Lukasz Majewski
>
>  --
>
>  DENX
>  Software Engineering GmbH,      Managing Director:
>  Wolfgang Denk
>  HRB 165235 Munich, Office:
>  Kirchenstr.5, D-82194 Groebenzell, Germany
>  Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax:
>  (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de

Best regards,

Lukasz Majewski