[U-Boot] [RESEND] video: bcm2835: add support for reading from the video-mode environment variable

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Thu Feb 2 23:11:01 UTC 2017

Stephen Warren <swarren at wwwdotorg.org> writes:

> On 01/13/2017 04:48 AM, Brian Masney wrote:

>>> Is the bad image that you get static/fixed, or does it move about randomly?
>>>
>>> If it's static/fixed, I wonder if the issue is with the memory pitch
>>> calculation. What value does bcm2835_pitch have without your patch? (and
>>> with your patch, I think it's uninitialized?).
>>>
>>> I wonder if you round the value of bcm2835_pitch up to a multiple of 256 (or
>>> something like that), then perhaps the issue may be solved? If you change
>>> the pitch value, and you notice the angle of the diagonal edges in the image
>>> change, the issue is almost certainly related to this pitch value.
>>>
>>> I can't recall how the mainline kernel driver works now. If it also uses the
>>> property mailbox to configure the display, and you're just using the dumb
>>> simplefb driver, perhaps you can compare the memory layout parameters the
>>> kernel uses when it's working to what U-Boot uses when it's not working.
>>
>> The image is fixed. I can see when the Linux Kernel boots and the
>> console messages scroll across the screen.
>>
>> Without my patch, u-boot detects the screen resolution as 1366x768 with
>> a pitch of 5504. With my patch, 1024x768 uses a pitch of 2048.
>>
>> I reverted my u-boot patch and tried hard coding the pitch to the values
>> 5376, 5632, 2048, 4096, and 6144 with no success. Once I read what the
>> pitch value does, I also tried 5464 (1366 x 4 (for 32bpp)) and 2732.
>
> Is this related?
>
>> https://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums/4/topics/6400?posts_per_page=25&posts_per_page_change=Change
> (See "I think I've just fixed that")
>
>> https://www.riscosopen.org/viewer/revisions/logs?ident=1471703957-443671.html
> (See the diff in the BCMVideo file)
>
> Another thing to try might be to remove the SET_* operations from
> U-Boot's property mailbox calls (I think the FW always initializes video
> out anyway, so U-Boot doesn't need to set anything up), and simply
> invoke the relevant GET_* operations to query where the buffer is and
> its size. IIRC I didn't do that because you can only query certain
> information as a side-effect of asking the FW to allocate a frame-buffer
> though (i.e. the info comes back in a SET_xxx/ALLOCATE_xxx response
> message, but there's no GET_xxx to query the data without modifying the
> configuration or re-allocating anything).

Yeah, just getting the current state is probably the best plan.  Then
the firmware gets to choose the preferred video mode from the EDID (or
stay with your config.txt settings) instead of the more limited policy
that u-boot is using.

The firmware code's kind of goofy, so maybe I'm misreading, but I think
you can do GET_ALLOCATE_BUFFER and get the base and pitch out without it
having done any reallocation.  Let me know if you need any other values
out of it, I might be able to dig up a way to get them.