[U-Boot] installing linux only (not crouton) on HP Chromebook 11

Sean Felipe Wolfe stjohnskid at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 05:26:24 UTC 2017

Hello!

I own a couple HP Chromebook 11's, model SPRING-G3A-B3S-Q2F, the kind which
only charge from the micro usb. I would like to erase ChromeOS and install
only Linux. Is this possible?

I've already installed Ubuntu via crouton, but I am curious if it is
possible to lose the ChromeOS altogether. I have tried this script from
John Lewis:
https://johnlewis.ie/custom-chromebook-firmware/rom-download/

However, I believe because the HP CB11 uses the U-Boot bios, this script is
not compatible.

Any other options? If not that's ok ... they were cheap :) Thank you!