[U-Boot] unused-const-variable warnings in FSL DDR driver

Thomas Schaefer Thomas.Schaefer at kontron.com
Thu Feb 9 17:17:02 UTC 2017

> On 02/09/2017 02:32 AM, Thomas Schaefer wrote:
>> Hi York,
>>

>> When compiling latest u-boot with gcc 6.3 compiler, I get several
>> 'unused-const-variable' warnings in options.c file of FSL DDR driver.
>> Affected variables are for (DIMM_SLOTS_PER_CTLR==2) configuration (e.g.
> dual_0S[4]) and warnings could be fixed with the patch applied.
>>

>> What do you think?
>
> Thomas,
>
> Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I understand GCC 6 may have more
> warnings. The proposed patch is OK in logic but it increases the size of code
> unnecessarily. Can you come up with a different fix?
>
> I can come back to check after I finish my work on hand.
>
> York

Hi York,

not sure if I understand this correctly, but why is code size increased when these
variables are not defined? I think code size is decreased instead as these variables
are no longer defined if not needed.

I also don't see a way to achieve this in a different way as the variables are defined
differently for DDR2, DDR3 and DDR4.

Best regards,
Thomas