[U-Boot] U-Boot of-platdata issue

Kever Yang kever.yang at rock-chips.com
Mon Feb 13 09:23:53 UTC 2017

Hi Simon,

On 01/16/2017 12:15 PM, Simon Glass wrote:
> Hi Kever,
>
> On 15 January 2017 at 18:28, Kever Yang <kever.yang at rock-chips.com> wrote:
>> Hi Simon,
>>
>>      I met two issue when using of-platdata
>>
>> 1. compitable name with '.'
>> I get compile error as below:
>> In file included from include/dt-structs.h:16:0,
>>                   from spl/dts/dt-platdata.c:3:
>> include/generated/dt-structs.h:26:35: error: expected identifier or ‘(’
>> before numeric constant
>>   struct dtd_rockchip_rk3399_sdhci_5.1 {
>>                                     ^
>> spl/dts/dt-platdata.c:41:42: error: expected identifier or ‘(’ before
>> numeric constant
>>   static struct dtd_rockchip_rk3399_sdhci_5.1 dtv_sdhci_at_fe330000 = {
>>                                            ^
>> spl/dts/dt-platdata.c:55:15: error: ‘dtv_sdhci_at_fe330000’ undeclared here
>> (not in a function)
>>    .platdata = &dtv_sdhci_at_fe330000,
>>                 ^
>> make[2]: *** [spl/dts/dt-platdata.o] Error 1
>> make[1]: *** [spl/u-boot-spl] Error 2
>> make: *** [__build_one_by_one] Error 2
>>
>> The dts node starts like this:
>>          sdhci: sdhci at fe330000 {
>>                  u-boot,dm-pre-reloc;
>>                  compatible = "rockchip,rk3399-sdhci-5.1",
>> "arasan,sdhci-5.1";
> That just involves replacing '.' with '_'. I sent a patch.
>
>> 2. multi compatible name
>> When a dts node have more than one compatible name, which is prefer to use?
>> for example, we have two dwmmc compatible name in rk3399, the tool is using
>> the first one,
>> while the source code using the last one.
>>
>> "drivers/mmc/rockchip_dw_mmc.c"
>>   23 struct rockchip_mmc_plat {
>>   24 #if CONFIG_IS_ENABLED(OF_PLATDATA)
>>   25         struct dtd_rockchip_rk3288_dw_mshc dtplat;
>>   26 #endif
>>   27         struct mmc_config cfg;
>>   28         struct mmc mmc;
>>   29 };
>> dts node
>>          sdmmc: dwmmc at fe320000 {
>>                 compatible = "rockchip,rk3399-dw-mshc",
>>                               "rockchip,rk3288-dw-mshc";
> I'm not sure of the best solution here (other than putting more
> on-chip SRAM in your devices hint hint :-)
>
> One option is something like:
>
> struct rockchip_mmc_plat {
> #if CONFIG_IS_ENABLED(OF_PLATDATA)
> #ifdef CONFIG_ROCKCHIP_RK3288
>          struct dtd_rockchip_rk3288_dw_mshc dtplat;
> #elif defined(CONFIG_ROCKCHIP_RK399)
>          struct dtd_rockchip_rk399_dw_mshc dtplat;
> #endif
> #endif
>
> Obviously we don't want that as it is putting SoC-specific stuff in the driver.
>
> IMO the compatible strings are being misused a bit. Can there not be a
> compatible string which is common to all rockchip devices which use
> this IP? Something like "rockchip,dw-mshc-v1"? Then you can avoid
> adding a new compatible string every time you use the same IP in a
> device.

Agree, but... this is from kernel, we can't control it unless all kernel
maintainers
have the same idea.

> Another option would be for dtoc to #define each compatible string to
> the first one. If you think that would work, I could do a patch.

     I think we can try with the first one in the driver for of-platdata,
this would have problem for the first compatible name is different but
they share the same driver, like syscon. For syscon, you have resolved with
a special dirver, not sure if other driver has the same problem.

     Could you help to make a patch for this solution?

Thanks,
- Kever