[U-Boot] of-platdata address map decode for 64-bits

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Wed Feb 22 04:00:20 UTC 2017

Hi Kever,

On 21 February 2017 at 06:08, Kever Yang <kever.yang at rock-chips.com> wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> On 02/14/2017 01:31 PM, Simon Glass wrote:
>>
>> Hi Kever,
>>
>> On 13 February 2017 at 01:13, Kever Yang <kever.yang at rock-chips.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Simon,

>>> I don't understand how to "loop through the data word by word".
>>
>> u32 *ptr;
>> u32 *reg = <address of memory controller>
>>
>> ptr = fdt_getprop(...., &len);
>> len /= sizeof(u32);
>> for (i = 0; i < len)
>>     writel(fdt32_to_cpu(ptr[i]), reg[i]);
>

> I think the fdt32_to_cpu() may be one thing cost CPU, it's done by the tool
> when of-platadata is enabled while CPU needs to do it when of-platdata is
> not enabled.

>>> Here is why I insist on no more extra operation and extra code in SPL,
>>> - The CPU in bootrom usually running in pretty low frequency, the copy
>>> may
>>> be slow;
>>> - The eMMC in bootrom is running in pretty low frequency, the read is
>>> slow;
>>> - Not like kernel or U-Boot, I don't think the dts values much for SPL,
>>>      Most of driver used in SPL is one time init, and may totally
>>> different
>>> in
>>> different SoC, including clock/cru driver, pinctrl/grf driver, dram
>>> driver,
>>> only
>>> storage driver is shared in different SoC and different boot stage.
>>> IMO, the SPL suppose to be simple, fast to init dram and load next stage
>>> image(if
>>> we do not go back to bootrom).
>>>
>>> For production, I have do many times to speed up the boot duration in
>>> different SoCs,
>>> so I hope the upstream U-Boot for Rockchip SoC is not only for
>>> developers.
>>> We should
>>> care about the size even if the size is enough for boot, the size design
>>> is
>>> not only consider
>>> the boot, but also for some application in system suspend which dram
>>> suspend.
>>
>> I am very much in agreement about your focus on boot time. I have no
>> interest in having a rockchip upstream U-Boot that is anything less
>> than the best in terms of boot time.
>>
>> However, does it really matter? Can you benchmark the boot time with
>> and without of-platdata and show me that the difference is
>> significant?
>>
>> So often I see optimisation of things that don't really matter.
>> Remember that of-platdata is going to be a pretty significant burden
>> on your development, so it needs to be worth it.
>>
>> That said, in the meantime, let's continue with this path
>> (of-platdata). We can decide whether to enable it or disable it based
>> on the results.
>

> Here is my test result:
> I enable a 24M counter at print the counter at rk3399 arch_cpu_init(),
> [...]

This is excellent information, thank you.

I suspect we can speed this up and reduce the difference to a new ms,
but let's go with your plan. Supporting both is fine. Now that we know
the tie difference we have something to work with.

BTW I suspect for some platforms we will want to increase to maximum
speed in SPL, assuming there is space to allow programming the PMIC,
etc.

Regards,
Simon