[U-Boot] [GIT PULL] Xilinx changes

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Thu Jan 19 04:20:44 CET 2017

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 08:17:14AM +0100, Michal Simek wrote:

> >> Almost nothing just git tag -s and write some stuff. arm-soc starts to
> >> use that long time ago that's why when you setup it once there is not an
> >> issue. Maybe good time to consider to move to the same model.
> >>

> > Interesting.
> >
> > Maybe, will we have a key signing party in the next U-Boot mini summit?
> > The GPG certificate can be checked only when we have the chain of trust.
>
> Tom probably has my key already from past. Definitely u-boot mini summit
> is a good opportunity for this.
>

> > More more difference for pulling a tag commit is that
> > git always creates a merge commit
> > even if the pull-request is sitting on the top of the upstream tree.
>
> It is up to Tom what flow he wants to use and how that merge commits
> will look like.

So, I've thought about this a bit more.  To me, at least initially, the
web of trust isn't as important as the information (and so history)
that's in the signed tags about what's coming in.  I want us to have
better release notes about what has changed and I think tags will help.
I'm not going to make it mandatory right now, I'd like people to try it
out and see what they think.  A look over
https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/howto/using-signed-tag-in-pull-request.html
may help people that haven't done it before.

--
Tom