[U-Boot] Driver not loaded by SPL

Felix Brack fb at ltec.ch
Fri Jan 20 14:56:05 CET 2017

Hello,

I have written a pin controller driver for the TI AM335x SOC using
U-Boot 2016.11-rc1. I use device tree to configure the board's hardware.
The driver runs fine once u-boot.img is loaded. However it does not get
loaded by the SPL code.
Using the hang() routine for "debugging" I can tell that spl_init()
seems to work fine. Even the call to dm_init_and_scan() succeeds.
So my question is: what is missing for the driver to be loaded by SPL?

If necessary I can provide much more details but it seems I have a
fundamental misunderstanding of DM when it comes to SPL, although I
believe having understood what dm_init_and_scan() and its parameter
pre_reloc_only do.

Any hint putting me on the right track would be very much appreciated.

regards Felix