[U-Boot] Falcon boot breaks on DRA7 because of commit b9c8ccab "env_mmc.c: Allow environment to be used within SPL"

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Tue Jan 24 20:11:19 CET 2017

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 06:04:47PM +0100, Jean-Jacques Hiblot wrote:

> On 24/01/2017 16:46, Tom Rini wrote:
> >>I had noticed that it's quite old indeed. I didn't mean that it's a
> >>regression. I'm just puzzled by the commit. what is its purpose ?
> >>why is SPL not using  CONFIG_SYS_MMC_ENV_DEV ?
> >Because in SPL we do not have both MMC devices initialized.
> That is not always the case. Actually in spl_mmc.c the code requires
> us to register more than one MMC device to work properly when
> multiple MMC boot devices can be used (see
> spl_mmc_get_device_index())
> I did the test of registering only MMC2 when booting from eMMC, the
> SPL fails because it can't find device 1:
> Trying to boot from MMC2_2
> MMC Device 1 not found
> spl: could not find mmc device. error: -19
>
> >We register
> >the one we booted from and thus it is device 0 to U-Boot in this case.
> >I suspect the rest of the issues stem from this quirk, or something
> >having broken around this quirk.  Thanks!

Right.  So I suspect the problem is that some level of the env_mmc.c
code needs to be adapted again for the change in how SPL now works with
the possibility of multiple devices.  It's possible that the change you
found is the right fix, please investigate a bit more and confirm
things before submitting a proper patch, thanks!

--
Tom