[U-Boot] twister fails to start u-boot from NAND

Stefano Babic sbabic at denx.de
Fri Jan 27 10:13:03 CET 2017

Hi Jeroen,

On 21/01/2017 20:40, Jeroen Hofstee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am facing some issues when booting u-boot (755b06d1c0f) from
> _NAND_ on a twister board. It works fine when booting from mmc.
> u-boot v2016.09 works fine from NAND as well.
>
> The first issue is that it hangs after DRAM initialization /
> before NAND is found. Git bisect points to 085be482f6
> (ARM: revive CONFIG_USE_ARCH_MEMCPY/MEMSET for UniPhier and Tegra)
> and while reverting that patch makes the issue go away, it doesn't
> seem to me like the root cause.

Right, or this is not the direct cause.

> With the patch reverted, the board hangs after getting the first
> ethernet address from the i2c EEPROM.
>
> Disabling reading from the EEPROM, it reaches the prompt but every
> issued command cause a data abort.
>
> So clearly something is wrong, but I have no clue what at the moment.
> I guess the most likely area which could cause such an issue would be
> the spl NAND driver corrupting memory or something,

It looks like that reading from NAND is not correct. Rather on the
twister there is no JTAG available.

> since it is the
> main difference between booting from mmc vs NAND. However almost
> nothing has changed in that area since v2016.09...
>
> Perhaps stack usage is significantly higher in the NAND boot..?

It seems strange - I will guess that for some reason data in RAM are not
equal to the data in NAND, and u-boot is corrupted. But I have not other
clue.

Best regards,
Stefano

Phone: +49-8142-66989-53 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80 Email: sbabic at denx.de