[U-Boot] U-Boot for Intel 64bit Linux kernel?

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Tue Jun 6 21:14:58 UTC 2017

+Bin

Hi Paul,

On 6 June 2017 at 08:53, Paul Knopf <pauldotknopf at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does U-Boot support booting an Intel 64bit Linux kernel?

Yes, in various ways. See for example x86-fit-boot.txt (and README.x86).

> The bootloader itself doesn't need to be 64bit, but it needs (for me) to
> boot a 64bit kernel with the full memory address space available.

U-Boot normally runs in 32-bit mode on x86. There is experimental
64-bit x86 support (see chromebook_link64), but it is not ready for
use, unless you want to improve it :-)

> What about UEFI?

Yes, it supports booting as a UEFI payload. It also can run an an EFI
app (really just for debugging). It can also run EFI apps. See
README.efi

Regards,
Simon